Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sophie's World


Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
  • Paperback: 544 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley (March 1, 1996)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425152251
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425152256


I've finished reading Sophie's World over the Mother's Day weekend and boy was it a read or I should say ride! The book talks about Sophie Admunsen , who walks home from school one day to find a letter in her mailbox addressed to her from a stranger. The letter starts with a huge question : Who are you? From then on, Sophie gets enlisted onto a philosophy course, one that starts way back from the days of Socrates, Plato right up to modern philosophers such as Sartre and Freud. The book has an element of mystery, as Sophie gets postcards that are meant for a girl named Hilde Moller Knag. This aura of enigmatic mystery sends readers on a quest to not only think about the many philosophical questions, but also to try to unravel the mystery lurking within the plot. 

I picked this book up some time back because I saw that it was listed in many "Must Read List"s around. Besides, who can resist a book that's been compared to a modern day Alice in Wonderland tale, although I must say the context of the book was way better than that of Alice, as much as I loved her and Wonderland. 

This is a perfect introduction to philosophy and the art of thinking. I won't be quoting anything from this book, because if I were to start doing so I'd end up quoting the whole book ! 3000 years of history and philosophy is very cleverly weaved into the storyline, and I particularly liked the twist right in the middle because I certainly wasn't expecting that (now, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you!). The intricate, complex world of philosophical thinking is explained in very simple, easy to understand, bite sized chunks, making the book both enjoyable and educational. Well-researched, well thought out, wonderfully imaginative and genius writing makes this a must read book! This is a book that's great for sitting down to read with someone, or for teenagers who are still curious enough to question, evaluate and come to their own reasonings and deductions. I most certainly loved it. 

7 comments:

  1. I tried one book on philosophy and was totally lost - maybe this would work for me since it's intended for a younger crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sound like something of Daddy Long Legs genre?

    ReplyDelete
  3. bermudaonion : Ah, this is a great book to start because it grazes the most important philosophies of prominent philosophers, and the book repeats these philosophies over and over again throughout the story so you get pretty well acquainted with them after a while. :)

    Kathy : Well, it's not really like Daddy Long Legs, but still perhaps the genre is similar...reaching to the younger crowd, but I still enjoyed it so :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this 10 years ago. Forget how it ended and the twist you mentioned...maybe I should re-read at some point.:p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanna, I've read this many years ago and it was a good one. I'm glad you loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, dropping by for the first time since, well, weeks ago.

    have you considered adding a "genre" field along with the ISBN numbers, publisher and stuff? or maybe put them as tags. i'd personally find it useful, makes it easier to find books i may like.

    just a little two pence. ;-) nice reading your blogs, as always

    ReplyDelete
  7. @JoV :
    Yeap. You should re read it if time permits ... you won't be disappointed :)

    @Alice Teh :
    It certainly was a good book wasn't it/ :)

    @Wen Qi :
    I shall do that from now on then :) Perhaps I shall put them in as tags. Would surely be easier to look up books, easier for me too when I'm searching the archives :)

    ReplyDelete